The Grundy Educational Trust ("GET") was established
in 1991 to advance education by providing or assisting in the provision
of post-graduate awards and/or loans to students for research and higher
learning at institutions in the United Kingdom.
It's investments amount to approximately £500,000 and some £40,000
is available each year for awards, the maximum individual amount of which
is currently set at around £4,500 per annum.
The Trustees currently limit awards to men and women;
- who are citizens or residents of the United Kingdom;
- who are intending to pursue courses leading to careers in technologically
or scientifically based disciplines in industry, commerce or the professions;
- who have been accepted or provisionally accepted for post-graduate
degrees at any of the following five universities, irrespective of where
they obtained their first degrees: Imperial College, Manchester, Nottingham,
Southampton & Surrey; and
- who are in need of financial assistance to fund their maintenance
The selection procedure for making awards is as follows:-
- Applications are reviewed by the five universities who send the applications
from their recommended candidates to the Trustees for consideration.
- A selected number of candidates are called for interview in June (reasonable
travel expenses paid) and
- after obtaining satisfactory references, annual awards of between
£1,500 and £4,500 are then made to approximately 10 successful
candidates payable in three equal termly instalments.
- Please note that for students wishing to pursue a course of longer
than one academic year, the Trust will typically support those students
for the duration of the course, subject to satisfactory annual academic
reports from tutors and consideration of annual estimates of required
financial assistance from students.
During its 20 years of operation, over 140 different candidates have
received awards from this Trust, leading to:
- Medical degrees as second degrees;
- Masters degrees in such disciplines as Biomedical Engineering, Engineering
Design, Audiology, Industrial Mathematics Modelling, Water & Waste
Engineering, Genetic Counselling, Operational Research, Meteorology
& Climatology, Toxicology, Renewable Energy Systems Technology,
World Space Economy, Computation, Construction Management, Sound &
Vibration Studies, Advanced Chemical Process Design, Quantum Fields
& Fundamental Forces; and
- Doctorates in Physics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences, Banking, Psychology,
Geophysics, Car Aerodynamics, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Chemical
Engineering, Medical Physics, Molecular Biology and Speech Synthesis
for Language Learning, Membrane Technology and General Structural Engineering.